Wednesday, June 18, 2014

03. Hope in Poka




Safehouse 721, Yadreni House
Poka, Lypton, Psveurtzke
Operation Reanimate Day 1




Note: Chair brought from Unitatos with Subject 1A.



Identification: Subject 1A, Peter Yadreni. Safely arrived. Intelligence level raised from 4 to 2.
Wowowow, have I been royally screwed over. For one thing, I just learned that the country which Psveurtzke borders through Lypton region does in fact exist. Another thing, they are indeed sentient and as technologically capable as we are. And for the grand ykrzzilian finale, pardon my language, we are at war with them and they've dropped a super-nuke in Lypton district! I don't know anything else about the war; all I know is Lypton has been attacked. The thing is, no one knows unless they're high up in the government or if they're survivors themselves--if it weren't so mountainous and on the fringe of the nation, it would be much worse, but still, thousands are dead, and the government has kept it from the rest of the country. And I'm here at ground zero, Pokalypton.


It's been 27 days since the bomb was dropped. Apparently, it detonated the second I started at Unitatos. Despite being only about a dozen miles from Pokalypton, Unitatoslypton survived as apparently it has some sort of 10-foot thick invisible blast shield. I suppose that's why the weather was so regular; it was fake. I won't have to worry about that though; nuclear winter will soon be the only thing I see.

And hey! You'd think they'd give me five more minutes with my thinking cap to master the mechanical skill and achieve my life goal, but no! I have to study it with whatever ancient Mechanics-for-Dummies book I can find in this dump!


Identification: Lance Allison, center. Mordecai March, right. Intelligence levels: 6: commoner.
Mordecai: So I bet you're wondering how you're going to survive here!
Lance: People like us unlucky enough not to have been vaporized with our families and friends have gotten it down, lucky for you!
Mordecai: Yup, I hope you like radioactive hot dogs!
According to the common people at intelligence level 6 (the public), a large shipment of fireworks was ignited by lightning in a freak lightning-without-rain-or-clouds-storm---and all fireworks apparently have very small amounts of radioactive materials, so when they all went off at the same time, it created a devastating nuclear disaster. I almost believed it myself.


There were some things definitely missing from the safe house. A shower, for one. Electricity is a whole 'nother thing.


I initially got a job doing science with a madman who lived in a little bunker. He was constantly high on the deadly chemicals he was working with, so occasionally he told me I was promoted and gave me money, which he had an abundance of.


I'm not kidding. He gave me $15,000 for retrieving his scoopula.


By my sixth day there, though, I found a job doing what I really wanted to do: natural science. This time I worked with a druid living in a ginormous tree, mysteriously the only one to survive the nuclear blast. He told me I already had all of the skills I need to return the local ground to health, but I needed a deeper understanding of the people living on it. So I set out to find some friends.


Identification: Rocky Abrams. Intelligence level 6.
Rocky: So. You enjoying life, post-fireworks?
Peter: Well...
Rocky: Well as long as we can play games here you better be. I'm stuck with my old mother-in-law at home, everyone else died when our house collapsed.
Peter: Lovely. So then, where do you liv-
Rocky: So you can steal my hot dogs? No, stop.



It turns out the druid--who got a PhD, MD, honorary Deer Skull from the Blood Druids Association, and Associates of Political Science degree before leaving society to live in this tree--was rich as well. With my Unitatos-trained skill in biology and his everything else, we did well.


I felt bad for doing so without Dallas knowing, but sometimes traditional speaking wasn't the quickest way to empathize with other Sims.


For the most part, I only flirted to get it started, then brought out the friendinator before they got a real crush.


Identification: Kent Fairbrother. Intelligence level 6.
For the most part.


But it was no matter, my training with the druid paid off and now I'm an Ecological Guru!


Identification: William Simmons. Wanted by government for stealing chemical supplies, ritual sacrifice of domestic pets, unauthorized immortality, failure to keep personal journal.
William: You are ready to shield this land from the winter which spurns it.
Peter: Hey, it's Tuesday!


Peter: On Tuesday we can make phone calls! I can finally marry my love!
This was one of the more difficult moments of adulthood. I had to choose between two redheads: one very, very cute and already with a good job, or one kind of lumpy with a college degree that I have history with.


I decided on Dallas. He was crazy enough to walk all the way from Unitatos in the nuclear winter, so I knew it must be him.




Dallas: I've missed you.
Peter: Oh, you have no idea.


Identification: Operation Reanimation Subject 1B, 'Dallas Yadreni' (nĂ© 'Fennell').

Government personality classification: 5-3-7-3-7, Knowledge.
Desire: Become education minister.



Peter: Will you be faithful to me, until expiration?
Dallas: Of course, Peter.



Peter brought home $13,000. Not that I needed it; with the bonuses and chance happenings from work, I'd already made more than $100,000 in my life.


And as if a perfect day could not get better, I mastered the mechanical skill! Meaning I achieved my life goal! Balancing the pH of the ground and allowing plant life to flourish, getting married and putting an end to my life of loneliness, and becoming a master of every skill available. This day, Tuesday, Day 15 of OR (Operation Reanimation), was the greatest day of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment