Saturday, June 21, 2014

06. Setbacks, part 2


Lypton Manor
Government Safehouse in Poka, Lypton, Psveurtzke



Identification: Agent 0028. Next in line to assume position as Agent 0001, among other duties.
Agent 0028: I'm concerned about Operation Reanimation. It seems as though it's not doing as well as previous operations of the same kind, and the subjects are expiring before their contributions to mankind are made. We have to help them.
Agent 0001: We will do nothing of the sort.


Agent 0028: What are you talking about? The ghosts are taking over,-


Agent 0001: Now, let's get one thing straight. I have the authority here. I am the authority here, and I have been for longer than you could possibly imagine. We may both be quite old, having government-sponsored immortality, but I am still quite older than you. We won't do anything, lest we risk the stability of the nation. If they fail, so be it.


Agent 0028: But if they fail, Lypton is lost, the war is exposed, and Psveurtzke goes up in flames! If we could just contact Agent 0000, or his boss-


Identification: Agent 0001. Anonymous leader of Psveurtzke.
Agent 0001: His what?


Agent 0001: I can arrange for a meeting for you and Agent 0000 anytime I so wish; I can always find time to schedule electrocution, starvation, or flies for you. Agent 0000 is the merchant of Death. The ghosts you're talking about are the foot soldiers of Death. Let me promise you one thing, though: You do not wish to engage with the army of Death. That is enough for today. Continue efforts of re-cultivating our gardens. You are dismissed.


Safehouse 721, Yadreni House
Poka, Lypton, Psveurtzke
Operation Reanimation day 60

Identification: Subject 2A, Kallias Yadreni, right. Subject 2B, Petra Yadreni, left; author of the following, sans bold/italics. Intelligence levels 2.


Well, life isn't always terrible in the Apocalypse! I'm close to returning medicine to Lypton, so everything isn't as bad as 60 days ago. Soon we'll be able to take real showers! I can only hope soon I'll have a little baby to bathe.


My husband, Kallias, doesn't look at saving the region the same way as I do. He's stressed, although he's still rising through the culinary field, slowly.


His father never helped, though. It got a point where, well...


Kallias: Petra! My father won't leave me alone!
Petra: Yes he will, just come up to bed.
Kallias: But I'm so hungry, I'm going to starve if I don't-


Kallias: So hungry... and so, so scared...
Peter: See you on the other side, sonny! He'll love you!


My own husband died right in front of my eyes, killed by his own father. I take it back; life in the apocalypse is absolutely terrible. Horrifyingly terrible.


Identification: Agent 0000, leader of the Eternal Underworld.
Agent 0000: N̙̯̫O͎̳̟̥̥W ̬̳̱̹TH̲̬̣͙̀I̺S͓̞͓̥͕ ̩̻̞ͅI̗S̲̠̮̹͚̣̗ ̘̜̝̻A̤̞̮̬̰͇͝ ̀R̛͖O̸͉̩̻͔̹U̩G҉̳͙̯̖̣H̫ ̘̯͙O̬̤NE͖̭̼̻ͅ.̫̬͙̣̯͖S̺̟̙̩̥̼ͅO̢̺͍M̦̣̖̫͙̼͓͟Ḛ̡̠̜̠̣̟O͇̺̳͚̙̖̳N͙̪̬̬E͕̘̲̜̮͖̝͠'̻̀S̷̹͖͎ ̵̗͇G̶̳̬̰̝O̸̙T͉͉̼̻̘͇͝ ̪̕ͅI̩̻̘T҉̪ Ơ̤̖͇̳̪͕̮U̪͚̤̳͉T̛ ̧͕̬F͇̠͚͎̫̗O̫̠̹̟R̶͓͕̞̺̦͎̠ ̗Y̛͚̠̙O̥̣͎͉͓Ụ̡̠̼̰͙̘ͅ ͔̲̻̰̗G̠͔̗͉̟U̸Y̨̤̤̬͔S̛̺̭.


Agent 0000: I̙̗̭̘̰̤̰'͘M͝ ͙͉̻̫̠͞S̷̤̮̯̗͉Ṷ͠R҉̤̹͔P͕̖͟R̤̖͠I̼͉̟̘͖̪S̯̬͉͉E͖̞D̢̲̹ ̞̝̦͚̗H̦͓̘̹͕̩̩E'̶̻̖̱͔̲̝S̩̬̝͙͔̥̮ ̳̦̺̻̘̟ͅN̡̫̣̖O̲͈̙ͅT̞̟̀ ̺̖ͅJ̝U̜S̹͜T̖ ̬͔̼͚G̯̰O̲͚̗I͖N̜̤̞̪̜͉͞ͅG̙͔̀ ̖́F̦͜OR͇̟̫ ͏T͙̼̻̱̜Ḩ͓̣̝E̩̘̬ ̝̺̖͖F̪̭̺̬͜U̯͈͉̣L͈L̨̯̩̯ ̸̝T͚̙͈H͉̗̠ͅI̠͈̼̩N͈̗͖̝͙G̝̀ -̱͎͚ ̧̞̬̙͎͕͉̞E̙̙͓̘͙̯X҉̺̰T̫̤̞͉̝̫̤E͎͕̣̹Ṟ̙̳̠̤͕͕M̬͘I̦̤̘̮N̢͕̖̯A̵̘͉͕T͏̱̫͉̹̼̘I͝O̟͝N̴̮̩͚͎̲̬-͖͍

Peter: HELLO, PetraAAA!!!!!!̦̫̜̟̳̠̕!!͍!͎͟!̢̺͉̫̰̥͡!͜͏̭͙̯̺͕̥!̷̩͎!̼̲̝͡!̜̟̀!̢̱͍̻̺͈̭̞!̰̳̬͙̳̟̙͔̥̘͎͚̙̖͚̩̀͘̕͢ͅ!̨̛͚̼̖!̴̪̪̺̩̫̺̘́̕!̸̘̫̹̻͉͟͢!̶̷͙̜̹̺̘̜͜͜!̫͔͔̞̺͖͇̖̭̣̭̤͜

Agent 0000: O̦͈̖̜̹͕̕O̗̯̻̼ͅP̹̻̯͘,̠́ͅ ̳̦̰T̲̟̺̩̘̖͢H͍̦̮͇̀E͍̭͓̟R̯̬͕̖̜E͖̠̩̻͔ ̼̣I̻̲T̪̀ ̀I̡̹̰̝S̫̥͔̩̤͕.̪͈̗̟̻̭

Petra: Would you people just leave this family ALONE!
Agent 0000: I ͍̤̼̬D͕O̷̰͓͓̼̞̰ͅN̬'͇̫Ṱ̞̝̺ ̙̝͘T̘̫H̝I͓N̲̮͕̟ͅͅK̸̬̰͔͎̤ ̷TḨ̳͈͍̖͎Ḁ̢̠Ţ̱̗͈̗̣̦̝'̡S͍͙̭ ̨̯̗͚͉͙͍P̤͈̥̘ͅO͎̮̗͢S̜̤͉̝̯͎S̙̟̲͕̩̤Ì̺̦̯̞̝̦ͅB̶̙̞̬̙L̨̲̳E̴̹̘̜̹.͍̭̖͍̝̟̞ And on a personal note--all work and scary voice aside--I'd try just a little harder from now on. Someone really does have it out for you guys. I know who that someone is, and he's kind of scary. Now, S͉E͓̝͎̞̺͡ͅE̙̫̹͞ ͉̕YO̶̼̭U̜͎̹ ͎̪̲̞̘WH̢͓͕͕̩̩̜E̝N̸̮̞̝ ͎͓͖͍̠̲͟I͉̞̳͈T͍͖̣̙̱͓'S͚̼̹͙̩͡ ͇̟̤̘Ṯ̡̲̦ͅI̲̤̖̼̫̳͍M̲̼Ȩ ̪̞̤̳̞̙ͅF̰̦̮͕̀O̯̺R ̺̙̞̟̞̱͡Y͏̙̪͖̜̩O͚̥̠͙̪U͎̖̹͈͍̞̤.̛͙.


Petra: My life is over! This family is over! I can't even marry a new man, the bloodline of this house is lost! I'll rot here, no matter my contribution to mankind!


Identification: Agent 0081. Duties involve helping subjects through times of extreme anguish.
Agent 0081: Now, now, chkild. Youz vkill vbe okvay. I veeouldn't vbet on zit zkat your famizy is gkone... veeait a veew zdays. Youz vkill vbe okvay.


Loneliness. Almost as painful as hopelessness. Ironic, isn't it, that the man famous for returning hope to the region is the one that stole it from his family?


Hope is a beautiful thing, though. And it will live on to another generation.
I am no virgin Mary. Kallias and I tried for a baby several hours before he died, but the first time we'd tried it didn't work, so I wasn't sure the second time would. It did.


Money continues to be the only problem we don't have. With over $150,000 in the bank, we could be unemployed for four generations and still make it. It's not very hard here anyway, even with The Company forcing us to make payments.


On Thursday, day 67, I managed to become Chief of Staff of the government relief center! With my help, the medics of Lypton refreshed the water of the Lypta River, giving clean water to all of Lypton! I would have to quit soon, though, because as soon as I got home, I went into...


DOUBLE LABOR! Although this was sure to be difficult for me, being a single apocalyptic mother, it was nice considering Kallias and I had wanted to have many children.


I named them Kai and Kali, boy and girl. Soon after their birth I did the necessary medical rituals for birth, like letting them adapt to the radioactive atmosphere.


And let me tell you about this bath.
Having government-sponsored townie immortality before marrying, I used to know what a bath was.
But never have I enjoyed a bath as I did (and do now) in that cheap, leaking bath tub.
Life is worth living once again. Because of my children, too, but the bath. W o w.


Being so busy the whole time I've lived here, I haven't really had time to keep improving the house. The wedding room is full of weeds, and, well, it isn't really a room yet. It'll get better with time, though.


And it'll get better when I have two beautiful children to help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment